MSHA Final Report Issued for Fatality on 10/27/2020
January 12, 2021 - On Oct. 27, 2020, a miner was digging a hole to install a wooden post for roof control when a section of the roof fell on him.
• Thoroughly examine the roof, face, and ribs where people will be working and traveling, including sound and vibration testing where applicable.
• Scale loose roof and ribs from a safe location. Prevent access to hazardous areas until appropriate corrective measures can be taken.
• Set temporary support before installing permanent support.
• Be alert for changing conditions and report abnormal roof or rib conditions to mine management and other miners.
• Know and follow the approved roof control plan and provide additional support when cracks or other abnormalities are detected. Remember, the approved roof control plan contains minimum requirements.
• Propose revisions to the roof control plan to provide measures to control roof hazards.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.