Signature Sponsor
Coal Fact for the Day: $ in the Bank


March 9, 2023 - Last week, Mountain State coal miners extracted, processed, and loaded 1.6 million tons of West Virginia coal.

Assuming about 52% of that coal was thermal coal for electric generation and industrial processes and the remaining 48% was metallurgical coal for iron and steel production, the State of West Virginia collected about $6.1 million in coal severance taxes for the state general revenue and disbursement to local and county governments.