MSHA Fatality Alert - April 9, 2023
May 10, 2023 - On April 9, 2023, a miner died while mounting off road truck tires on rims. The miner was in the process of mounting a tire on its rim when another tire’s outer lock ring dislodged, became airborne and struck the victim in the head.
- Use a tire safety cage (or other tire restraint device) when inflating a truck tire that is not on the truck. Stand away from the inflating tire and out of the wheel and air blast trajectory during the inflation process.
- Check tires and rims for damage and defects before performing work.
- Before repairing tires, completely deflate the tires by removing the valve core and checking the valve stem to make sure it’s clear.
- Follow the manufacturer's procedures and make sure tire and rim components are compatible.
- Train miners who service tire and rim components.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.