EIA's Electric Power Monthly and Electricity Monthly Update—May 2023
May 25, 2023 - We have released the May 2023 Electricity Monthly Update with data for March 2023. The following are some highlights:
- Wholesale electricity prices set new 52-week lows in the Mid-Atlantic (PJM), Midwest (MISO), and Louisiana (into Entergy).
- Wholesale natural gas prices set new 52-week lows in Louisiana (Henry Hub), Texas (Houston Ship Channel), the Southwest (El Paso San Juan), Southern California (SoCal Border), and in the Northwest (Sumas).
- Total U.S. coal stockpiles had a month-over-month increase of 9.5%, reaching 110 million tons in March 2023.
The report also includes a feature article about how the U.S. electric power industry’s cooling water withdrawals increased slightly in 2021.
We have released the May 2023 Electric Power Monthly with data for March 2023. The following are some highlights:
- Net generation in the United States rose 1.6% from March 2022.
- Consumption of natural gas for power generation was up 18.7% compared with March 2022.
- The average residential retail price of electricity was up 9.5% from March 2022.