Mine Fatality Alert February 27, 2020
March 13, 2020 - On February 27, 2020, a trucking company employee died while helping to position a low-boy trailer. The victim was standing in front of the trailer wheels to assist the driver. The truck driver moved the truck forward causing the wheels of the trailer to strike the victim.
- Communicate your planned movements with the equipment operator before approaching mobile equipment and verify the information was received and understood.
- Verify miners are clear before driving mobile equipment. Communicate your planned movements with miners and verify the information was received and understood.
- Sound your horn to warn miners that you are about to move and wait to give them time to get to a safe location.
- Establish policies and procedures for miners to stand in safe locations when directing mobile equipment.
- Inspect backup alarms and collision warning/avoidance systems on mobile equipment to ensure they are maintained and operational.
- Wear high visibility clothing when working around mobile equipment.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.