MSHA Mine Fatality Report Issued for February 27, 2020 Fatality
May 12, 2020 - On February 27, 2020, a trucking company employee died while helping to position a low-boy trailer. The victim was standing in front of the trailer wheels to assist the driver. The truck driver moved the truck forward causing the trailer to strike the victim.
- Communicate your planned movements with the equipment operator before approaching mobile equipment and verify the information was received and understood.
- Verify miners are clear before driving mobile equipment. Communicate your planned movements with miners and verify the information was received and understood.
- Sound your horn to warn miners that you are about to move and wait to give them time to get to a safe location.
- Establish policies and procedures for miners to stand in safe locations when directing mobile equipment.
- Inspect backup alarms and collision warning/avoidance systems on mobile equipment to ensure they are maintained and operational.
- Wear high visibility clothing when working around mobile equipment.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.