MSHA Final Report Issued for Fatality on 10/14/2020
January 11, 2021 - On October 14, 2020, a lead person was killed when his pickup truck was struck by a haul truck.
- Install and maintain collision avoidance/warning systems.
- Equip smaller vehicles with strobe lights and flags positioned high enough to be seen from the cabs of haulage trucks in all lighting conditions.
- Establish and follow communication protocols that require verbal verification for all mobile equipment operators.
- Design haul roads to minimize congested areas and maximize visibility.
- Do not drive smaller vehicles in a large truck’s potential path.
- Train miners on mobile traffic patterns and policies. Do not rely on training or other administrative controls alone to prevent powered haulage or other accidents.
Miners and mine operators can find safety and health information on MSHA.gov.